September 4, 2016
Makeover Monday: Alan Rickman - An Actor’s Life
This week’s Makeover Monday subject was sent to me by incoming Data Schooler Anna Noble. Nothing like kissing up to the coach before you even start. 😋
The viz in question is from The Slow Journalism Company:
What works well?
- It’s obviously a timeline.
- It’s clearly about Alan Rickman.
What doesn’t work?
- It took me a while to figure out what the being on each side of the timeline meant.
- Horrific colour choices; apparently the colours identify the genre. You can see that in the microscopic font on the lower left.
- Colours with zig zagged lines are always a bad choice
- The pointy things
- The pie chart
- The annotations aren’t near the data they represent.
- You have to use the zoom feature to read anything.
- It makes me dizzy.
For my makeover, I wanted to do something very simple. This data set calls out for something simple and clear, especially after you spend time trying to understand the original. I have no idea who Alan Rickman is as I’ve never read any Harry Potter books nor seen the movies. Yes, I’m a terrible father! I once again used 100% floating objects to create this. I’m really loving the precise control that lets me have.
Click on the image for the interactive version (but really there’s no need as there nothing more to the live version other than a mobile view).