December 14, 2012
VizWiz Contest: Electric City has been eaten by pies and donuts. Save it!
Tufte says “Pie charts are bad and that the only thing worse than one pie chart is lots of them.” Well, I think pies inside donuts and lots of them is even worse.
In the spirit of thrashing incredibly crappy visualization, I thought I’d run a data viz contest. The goal is simple – redesign this visualization from the Guardian.
Download the data here. I have transcribed the numbers exactly from the Guardian’s “viz”, so don’t shoot the messenger if the numbers don’t seem to quite add up to 100% in some cases.
I hate rules, but it seems like this contest probably needs a few.
- Deadline: December 31, 2012 @ 11:59pm ET (assuming we all make it past December 21st)
- Email me your submission or a link to it here.
- One entry per person. Send me more than one and I’ll ignore your entries.
- I don’t care what tool you use. It’s your choice. Draw it on paper if that’s your preference. Using Tableau will NOT give you an advantage over others.
- Judging is based solely on my personal opinion of your design. If you’ve been following this blog, then you probably have a good feel for what I like, and maybe more importantly what I don’t like.
- The winner will receive an embroidered Facebook zip up hoodie. Retail value $750. Facebook swag is priceless so I may be over exaggerating a bit.
- The winner will be announced sometime in the first two weeks of January.
Good luck! Hopefully this doesn’t turn out to be a disaster (and don’t complain if you don’t win).