October 8, 2010
ATUG Project - Rapid-fire BI in ActionAtlanta Tableau User Group (ATUG) meeting we had everyone participate in a team project we called "We Hate to Fly and it Shows!" We broke everyone into groups of 5 (counted off randomly so they'd have to work with people they don't know...you know, the whole networking thing), gave them 30 minutes (they took 45) and told them: "Here is a data set. Go build a dashboard."
The primary purposes of the team exercise were:
- Introduce new or prospective users to Tableau
- Prove that you can indeed build a dashboard incredibly quickly with Tableau (as Tableau professes)even though it's unfamiliar data
- Demonstrate the ability to find insights very rapidly
- Increase the capabilities of the user group. Each group presented their dashboard and feedback was provided.
- Learn tips and tricks
Some of the features built into this dashboard include:
- + Filtering by airport using the drop down
- + Using the map as an action filter
- + Airports on the map are sized by the average arrival delay and colored by the % of arrivals delayed
- + Stacked bar charts to show the proportion of each type of delay to the total
This exercise/group activity was such a hit that the group request we do it again in our November 11th meeting. Of course, they want more time so they can really impress everyone.
I'm not going to provide the data ahead of time...I have something interesting in mind.