September 26, 2016
Makeover Monday: China is Dominating the Global Peach Index
agriculture , faostat , heat map , infographic , line chart , Makeover Monday , peaches , slope graph
And thanks to FAOSTAT there is! Who knew?!? Their data set is accompanied by a series of chart. I'm going to focus on their map.
What works well?
- It's a map, so I can easily understand that it's show geographic distribution.
- Nice filtering capabilities
What doesn't work well?
- The color scales don't make sense. Are they ranges? Are they precise values?
- There are a lot of yellow countries/ What does that mean?
- The blue water makes it hard for the blue shading on the map to stand out.
- The mapp wraps and repeats.
- Comparing countries on a filled map is nearly impossible. How does China compare to Holland? If you can't answer questions like that, then a filled map is not the answer.
For my version, I wanted to focus on the top peach producers in 2012, so I created a set that only includes to top 10 countries of 2012. I started with a summary, then an view over time, followed by a heatmap to help highlight the differences.
Click on the image for the interactive version.