August 22, 2016
Makeover Monday: Together We Can Eradicate Malaria in Africa
This week for Makeover Monday we are tackling the malaria epidemic. The fact that countries still have to worry about malaria despite the prevention measures available is quite sad. Fortunately, the Tableau Foundation is helping and you can help too. Please visit visualizenomalaria.org to help.
Let’s look at the original visualisation on the World Health Organization website.
What works well?
- Really nice interactivity with both hover and click actions
- You can make any are full screen
- Consistent color palette
- Easy to understand
What doesn’t work well?
- Map is way too wide
- List of countries doesn’t aid in understanding
- Time series and bar chart don’t adjust for the data that is filtered
- Timeline is missing several years, even though the data exists
- Time series doesn’t display anything until you click on a country
I wanted my visualisation to fix the issues listed above, but also to be more focused on Africa. I also wanted it to serve as a call to action. I start with a summary and background information, dig a bit into some insights I found, and wrap it up with a way people can help.