January 4, 2017
Workout Wednesday: Comparing Year over Year Purchase Frequencies
What is Workout Wednesday? It’s a set of weekly challenges from Emma Whyte and me designed to test your knowledge of Tableau and help you kick on in your development. We will alternate weekly challenges: I will take the odd weeks and post them on my blog; Emma post challenges on the even weeks on her blog.
The idea is to replicate the challenge that we pose as closely as possible. When you think you have it, leave a comment with a link to your visualisation and post a pic on Twitter for others to enjoy.
Ok, so for week 1, I challenge you to recreate the visualisation below that helps identify the year over year purchase frequencies of Superstore (get the data here). The workbook is downloadable, but don’t cheat. Give it a real go before you download it to see if you got it right.
Here are the requirements:
- Y-axis is the cumulative % of total orders
- X-axis is the day of the year
- One line for each year, with the latest year highlighted
- Include a reference line for the target, which should adjust based on what the user enters
- Single select filter for Product Sub-Category
- Multi-select filters for Year, Region and Customer Segment
- Include a dot on each line at the first day when the cumulative % of order crosses the target
- Make the tooltips match mine
- Title should update based on the target entered by the user