February 28, 2017
Tableau Tip Tuesday: Table Calculations Overview
I promised a blog post and here it is. I've recorded about a 30 minute video where I have two primary objectives:It took nearly 10 years, but I finally have a way to put @Tableau table calcs into an english sentence to understand them. Blog coming soon.— Andy Kriebel (@VizWizBI) February 25, 2017
- Provide recommendations for how to approach table calcs
- Teach you how to read table calcs in a plain English sentence
Here are two slides I created to help you read table calcs:
The trick is to read from the bottom up.
- Start with the unchecked boxes and add the words "For each" before those.
- Move to the Calculation type and add the words "compute the" before the item in the Calculation Type box.
- Add the word "by" before each box that is checked at the bottom, again reading it from bottom to top.
I hope you find this helpful and that it makes table calculations easier for you to understand. Please let me know if this helps.