March 11, 2015
Time for a New Challenge
There have been a few moments in my career that I distinctly remember as being significant turning points.
- The day I started listening to Dave Ramsey then immediately called my wife and told her that I had a plan for us to live debt-free.
- The moment I finished reading 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller and knew I had discovered my true passions.
- April 11, 2007 - The day I downloaded Tableau 3.0 for the first time and became completely and utterly addicted.
- July 20, 2008 - The first day of the first Tableau Customer Conference and the day I met Dan Murray, one of my best friends and an incredible mentor.
- April 5, 2012 - The day I got a mysterious email from a guy by the name of Namit RaiSurana at Facebook and the life-changing opportunity he gave me.
- July 7, 2014 - The first day of TCC London and the feeling I had that reminded me of the first Tableau conference in 2008. That VIBE! You know what I'm talking about if you went to the early conferences. It was a feeling that Tableau was ready for another phase of HUGE growth.
- Jul 29, 2014 - Attended the Facebook company all-hands, where the theme was...
And it hit me. Like a punch in the nose. Right then and there. I knew I could offer the world, particularly the Tableau world, more than I was giving. I knew I could make a bigger impact by doing something different.
Change can be scary. It was so incredibly hard to leave family in Atlanta to move to California, but we've grown so much as a family because of it. I've grown so much in my role. In other words, there are times when opportunities make change less scary.
Since TCC London last summer, my wife and I have had many long, talks about the future, about life experiences, about the value of money vs. those experiences, about opening our kids' eyes to the world.
We've decided it's time for a change. It's time for a different challenge. It's time to see and experience the world. It's time to take risks, be bold, and NOT be afraid.
I'm leaving Facebook.
We're moving to London.
And I will be the Head Coach for...
...where I'll get to work with some of the most brilliant minds in all of data analytics. I've known Tom Brown, Robin Kennedy and Craig Bloodworth for years, and I can't wait to learn from them. We're going to be creating the next generation of analysts, jedis, ninjas, and data rockstars.
I am moving to London in early April, so if you're in town and want to catch up, let me know.