January 11, 2016
Makeover Monday: Stephen Curry Hates Mid-Range Jump Shots
This week's Makeover Monday looks at this simple stacked bar chart from Sports Chart of the Day:
What works well:
- Nice labelling on the axes; this makes it clear what we data is displayed
- Nice annotation of the point of the chart
What could be done better:
- Needs a better title
- Needs to incorporate shooting % so that I can better understand the relationship between shots taken and shooting %
- Group together all shots over 30 feet
- Find a better way to compare the number of shots taken on each range. I find the stacked bars hard to compare within in a shot distance.
- Make the different shot ranges more clear, e.g., what defines a long 2?
- Provide a summary
- How are Curry's shot selections changing over time?
With these considerations in mind, here is my my makeover of the chart:
Note: If you'd like to participate in Makeover Monday, check this link for the details.