February 15, 2016
Makeover Monday: How Does Video Game Playing Vary by Demographic?
adults , bar chart , comparison , demographics , Makeover Monday , parents , radial chart , teens , video games
This week’s Makeover Monday has a mix of good and bad parts. It comes to use from Forbes.
Let’s review this from top to bottom.
- The video game font they chose for the title is cute, yet the title itself doesn’t reflect what contained in the entire visualisation.
- I don’t understand why they chose to use a grey-to-white background. What value does that add? Remember, everything you include in a viz should have a purpose. If not, remove it.
- I really like the adults vs. teens section. In particular, I like how the bars start on opposite ends and come towards each other.
- Then we get to the parents vs. non-parents section. Why didn’t they continue the theme from the adults vs. teens section? Instead they chose some weird radial chart type thing that makes comparisons very difficult both between parents and non-parents and across platforms within a single category. Basically, this section is a disaster.
- The images of people playing videos games on a giant screen is cute, but it doesn’t enhance the viz in my opinion.
Click here to download the Tableau workbook.