January 9, 2017
Makeover Monday: Have Apple Lost Their Edge With iPhone?
The iPhone…what would I do without mine? We’ve become so dependent on our mobile phones and this is primarily due to the revolution that Steve Jobs launched back in 2007. This week for Makeover Monday, we look at this chart from DazeInfo:
What works well?
- Title captures your attention
- Nice highlighting of the declining bar in 2016
- Simple colors that work well
- Pretty simple, easy to understand viz
What could be improved?
- Beveled bars are unnecessary; just make them flat
- What does the * mean next to 2016?
- Is the axis needed if the bars are labeled?
- Inconsistent label formatting; make them all the same number of decimals
- Remove the gridlines
For my version, I wanted to focus on the story that was in the article itself. I was particularly struck by the percentage of revenue that the iPhone now accounts for in Apple’s overall revenue.