January 30, 2017
Makeover Monday: Employment Growth in G-7 Countries
bar chart , Business Insider , economy , G-7 , growth , highlight , Makeover Monday , pie chart , United StatesBusiness Insider posted this visualisation about the growth of the economies in G-7 countries:
What works well?
- Good to add a note about rounding
- Citing the data source
- A clearer title that makes the message more evident
- Countries should be sorted in descending order
- Labels should include the %
- Pie chart is a bad choice for this many categories
- Too many colors
- Chart titles are confusing (to me at least)
I took the time to read through the article and to read the section of the original report that is referenced. After reading them, the intent of the pie charts was clear. The articles helped me organize my visualisation in a manner that makes the message more clear. I decided to highlight the U.S. with the official red of the U.S. flag. For me, the bar charts are much more clear than the pie charts and they help me break the story into two parts.