February 6, 2017
Makeover Monday: Are We Nearing the Death of Chicago Taxis?Eva and Exasol set us up with 105M records to play with. Often time, this can feel like an incredibly daunting exercise, but I took a very methodical approach. More about that in a minute. First, let's take a look at the viz we want to makeover:
What works well?
- Using a line chart to portray a time series rarely is a bad choice
- Nice simple labeling of the axes
- Title tells me what I'm looking at
- Red line on the grey background works well
- The y-axis is truncated, but the chart maintains a nice 3x2 ratio so that the line trends aren't too distorted.
What could be improved?
- Scale of the y-axis is a bit odd; I like nice rounded numbers that make the math easy to do in my head
- There is SO much more data to work with; why limit to only trips?
- Could use a more impactful title
- Could use more context
This week I decide to apply some of the training we received from Rhiannon Fox and do a bit of mood boarding, color choosing and seeking overall inspiration. I knew I wanted to create a summary dashboard of sorts that included lots of context, so after a bunch of Google image searching and pinning, I ended with this mood board.
Overall, another fun week. Tonight I get to introduce this to a bunch of new Tableau users at the #MakeoverMonday Live session at Tableau HQ in London. Can't wait to see what they come up with!