February 15, 2017
Workout Wednesday: Dynamic Trellis Chart
date , datetrunc , dynamic , dynamic titles , line chart , panel chart , parameter , reference line , small multiples , spaces , sparklines , time series , trellis chart , Workout WednesdayWorkout Wednesday week 7, I challenge you to build this dynamic trellis chart. Special thanks to Chris Love for explaining to me why the trellis works the way it does. He has a great blog post series over on The Information Lab blog.
In this example, I'm using the same Superstore Sales I've used in previous Workout Wednesdays. Here are the guidelines:
- Match my colors.
- The user should be able to choose the level of detail they want for the date.
- The date axis format should not change, irrespective of the date level chosen.
- The user should be able to pick from the list of dimensions shown.
- The dimensions should be sorted from upper left to lower right based on the sales in the most recent time period.
- Match my tooltips. Note that they change based on the options the user selects. Pay attention to the date formats in particular.
- The title should update dynamically based on the date level and dimension selected.
- The end of each line should be labeled to the right of the last point.
- There should be a little circle on the end of each line.
- Each section of the trellis should include a label for the value of the dimension for that section. E.g., California should be on the upper left when you selected quarters by state.
- The dimension labels should be centered in each section.
- There should be no gridlines, but the zero line should be included.
- Each row should should have a light divider between them.
- My final view is 900x700.