June 29, 2016
WTF Wednesday: Misconceptions About Muslim Population
This morning I was going through the backlog of Makeover Monday candidates that I have saved in Pocket and it’s quite an extensive list. So I thought I’d knock one off the list and start up #WTFWednesday for those of us that just can’t have enough Tableau in our lives.
What works well?
- It’s neatly organised by the amount of misconception
- Colors follow Guardian standards
- Nice title that sets the story
What doesn’t work well?
- When I first read it, I assumed the darker blue was the average guess, but that’s not the case. This should be made clearer.
- Comparing countries could be made easier
- Stacked bars with overlapping labels look very cluttered
I didn’t want to spend a lot of time on this so I decided to make a simple barbell chart sorted by the largest misconception. This was also the first time that I’ve put bar charts in tooltips, which works well for allowing the user to see the precise values.