July 4, 2016
Makeover Monday: Where Are the Best & Worst States to Raise a Child in America?
This week the UK Zens are on Tour and we’re taking Makeover Monday on the road with us. And it’s Independence Day in America so I chose a visualisation about raising children in America. Happy birthday ‘Merica!
What works well?
- Nice big titles make it easy to know what the map is about
- The colors make is easy to see the good and bad concentrations.
- Alaska and Hawaii are neatly brought in under the continental U.S.
What doesn’t work?
- The ranges for the colors are equivalent.
- Using a filled map could lead to visually distortion; poor Rhode Island!
- The separate maps that you have to page through make comparisons too difficult.
- There’s no way to see a State’s ranking in all categories at once.
I iterated through lots of ideas this week and found two that I think work well.
- I changed the filled map to a hex map then put all of the maps side by side.
- I created heat maps and bump charts that show the individual State rankings in each category.
- I added bar charts in the tooltips.
- I included highlighting interactivity.
Both views are shown below. Which one do you prefer?